Note: This syllabus is same for AE, EEE.
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY HYDERABAD
III Year B.Tech. AE - I Sem L T/P/D C
4 - / - /- 4
(A50014) MANAGEMENT SCIENCE
This course is intended to familiarise the students with the framework for the managers and leaders availbale for understanding and making decisions realting to issues related organiational structure, production operations, marketing, Human resource Management, product management and strategy.
UNIT - I:
Introduction to Management and Organisation: Concepts of Management and organization- nature, importance and Functions of Management, Systems Approach to Management - Taylor's Scientific Management Theory- Fayal's Principles of Management- Maslow's theory of Hierarchy of Human Needs- Douglas McGregor's Theory X and Theory Y - Hertzberg Two Factor Theory of Motivation - Leadership Styles, Social responsibilities of Management, Designing Organisational Structures: Basic concepts related to Organisation - Departmentation and Decentralisation, Types and Evaluation of mechanistic and organic structures of organisation and suitability.
UNIT - II:
Operations and Marketing Management: Principles and Types of Plant Layout-Methods of Production(Job, batch and Mass Production), Work Study - Basic procedure involved in Method Study and Work Measurement - Business Process Reengineering(BPR) - Statistical Quality Control: control charts for Variables and Attributes (simple Problems) and Acceptance Sampling, TQM, Six Sigma, Deming's contribution to quality, Objectives of Inventory control, EOQ, ABC Analysis, Purchase Procedure, Stores Management and Store Records - JIT System, Supply Chain Management, Functions of Marketing, Marketing Mix, and Marketing Strategies based on Prodcut Life Cycle, Channels of distribution.
UNIT - III:
Human Resources Management(HRM): Concepts of HRM, HRD and Personnel Management and Industrial Relations (PMIR), HRM vs PMIR, Basic functions of HR Manager: Manpower planning, Recruitment, Selection, Training and Development, Plcement, Wage and Salary Administration, Promotion, Transfer, Seperation, Performance Appraisal, Grievance Handling and Welfare Administration, Job Evaluation and Merit Rating - Capability Maturity Model (CMM) Levels - Performance Management System.
UNIT - IV:
Project Management (PERT/ CPM): Network Analysis, Programme Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT), Critical Path Method (CPM), Identifying critical path, Probability of Completing the project within given time, Project Cost Analysis, Project Crashing (simple problems).
UNIT - V:
Strategic Management and Contemporary Strategic Issues: Mission, Goals, Objectives, Policy, Strategy, Programmes, Elements of Corporate Planning Process, Environmental Scanning, Value Chain Analysis, SWOT Analysis, Steps in Strategy Formulation and Implementation, Generic Strategy alternatives. Bench Marking and Balanced Score Card as Contemporary Business Strategies.
- Stoner, Freeman, Gilbert, Management, 6th Ed, Pearson Education, New Delhi, 2004.
- P. Vijay Kumar, N. Appa Rao and Ashnab, Chnalill, Cengage Learning India, 2012.
- Kotler Philip and Keller Kevin Lane: Marketing Management, Pearson, 2012.
- Koontz and Weihrich: Essentials of Management, McGraw Hill, 2012.
- Thomas N. Duening and John M. Ivancevich Management - Principles and Guidelines, Biztantra, 2012.
- Kanishka Bedi, Production and Operations Management, Oxford Uiversity Press, 2012.
- Samuel C. Certo: Modern Management, 2012.
- Schermerhorn, Capling, Poole and Wiesner: Management, Wiley, 2012.
- Parnell: Strategic Management, Cengage, 2012.
- Lawrence R Jauch, R. Gupta and William F. Glueck: Business Policy and Strategic Management Science, McGraw Hill, 2012.
By the end of the course, the student will be in a position to
- Plan ana organizational structure for a given context in the organisation carry out production operations through Work study.
- carry out production operations through Work study.
- understand the markets, customers and competetion better and price the given products appropriately.
- ensure quality for a given product or service.
- plan and control the HR function better.
- plan, schedule and control projects through PERT and CPM.
- evolve a strategy for a business or service organisation.
CreatedMay 21, 2015
UpdatedJun 13, 2015